Latest Advice

Returning Goods From Overseas

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

I bought 2 quite expensive feather & down pillows on-line from a large UK retailer, to be delivered to our home in France, which they did quickly and efficiently. However, after just 3 months use a lot of the feathers are coming through the casing. I want to return them and would like to know who is liable for the cost of carriage from overseas.

Dear Janbo
    I ám sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with your pillows. If you purchased them in the UK then the retailer should offer to repair or replace the pillows and offer a refund. They should also pay for the return costs. As they are less than 6 months old, it is presumed they were sold with a fault, unless the retailer can prove otherwise.
    If you purchased them from the store whilst in France, your rights should remain the same but you may have some issues in obtaining a remedy if the company refuses to help you.
    The advice set out above is limited to the information given and is not a substitute for obtaining full legal advice

Anonymous

I bought a Davis Weather station from Amazon marketplace. The software they supplied was incorrect ( I use a Mac) so am I right in assuming they should pay the return cost of the software and the sending of the correct product? The marketplace trader is from Germany and have asked me to return it for exchange.

Dear Ian
    It will be dependant upon how the station was described – if it stated that it was suitable for a mac, then it should be and they would be in breach of contract and you should be able to return the goods, and their cost, and get a refund. However, that would be the case if you purchased in the UK. The law in Germany may be different – you would need to check the terms and conditions of sale to see which laws apply. If there is a case to answer, it is retailer, you paid by credit card and it cost more than £100 then you may be able to claim against your card provider under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The advice given above is limited to the facts given and does not substitute taking formal legal advice

Anonymous

Thank you for that, KM. They have agreed to pay return postage.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.